Dahr Jamail discusses at Russia Today the U.S. agreement with Israel to donate bunker-buster bombs. There’s no secret that this is preparation for an aggressive strike against Iran (4:55):
What’s called the “bunker buster” bomb is a “non-nuclear, 30,000-pound Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP)’”developed by Chicago-based Boeing Co. The bomb would deliver 5,300 lbs. of explosives to apply ten times the amount of force as the 2,000 lb. BLU-109. The U.S. Air Force says the bomb could be ready for Northrop Grumman Corp’s radar-evading B-2 bomber by July 2010. The accelerated development is said to be a “signal to Iran and North Korea”. (Reuters)
via Jason Ditz at Antiwar News – 25 Sep 2008:
Earlier in the month, it was reported that the United States had turned down a specific security aid package requested by the Israeli government, which included a large number of bunker-buster bombs and an air corridor over Iraq to attack Iran. The US eventually did sell the bunker-buster bombs to Israel, but reportedly told the Israeli government that access to Iraqi airspace would have to be obtained from Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, a virtual impossibility since the two countries are still technically in a state of war and have no official diplomatic relations.
It is being reported today that the Pentagon is considering seeking additional funding for the deployment of its “Massive Ordinance Penetrator” (MOP) bomb, the 30,000 pound bunker-buster weapon which would be the largest conventional bomb in the US arsenal….
According to Kenneth Katzman, an expert at the Congressional Research Service, said it was “very possible that the Pentagon wants to send a signal to various countries, particularly Iran and North Korea, that the United States is developing a viable military option against their nuclear programs.”
Reports emerged this weekend from Scotland’s Sunday Herald that the US government has contracted with a Florida company to ship a massive amount of weaponry, including hundreds of bunker buster bombs, to Diego Garcia.…
The Sunday Herald report also cites numerous experts as saying that the lack of publicity for the move, just one of several examples of the Obama Administration adding major amounts of weaponry to the area around Iran, suggests they believe a confrontation is more likely. The Pentagon has thus far refused to comment.
The strategy behind the U.S. eliminating the presence of the indigenous people of and occupying Diego Garcia for decades has been to “run the planet” from there “by 2015”.
Mr. Ditz, again, 21 Mar 2010, regarding this evening’s meeting between the presidents of the U.S. and Israel:
Netanyahu will reportedly press President Obama to provide the nation with “bunker buster” bombs to make Israel’s long-threatened military attack on Iran more convenient.
General Charles Ward, former head of strategic planning and policy for the U.S. Air Force during the invasion of Afghanistan, said at an Israel Lobby conference hosted by The Washington Institute for Near East Policy (WINEP) that “pressure will mount for [the U.S.] to stand by Israel” were it to make a aggressive military strike on Iran, Dan Raviv reported at CBS.
He added to David Makovsky, a WINEP senior analyst and co-author of a book with Obama Iran adviser and WINEP co-founder Dennis Ross stating that diplomacy with Iran should be used as a formality to draw allies and manufacture international and domestic consent for a military strike, that the chances of the U.S. forcefully denying Israel the use of Iraqi airspace to initiate an attack on Iran was “less than zero“.
The chances Pres. Obama denies Israel the artillery means are about the same.
Alan McKinnon on the U.S. Iraq’ing Iran (4:35):