MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow on President Obama’s speech — calling him out for his leaked plan to detain people in defiance of international law and the Constitution.
It’s worth noting that the New York Times broke these details Wednesday night and the rest of the MSM just wanted to fawn over Obama’s Thursday morning speech in contrast to Fmr. VP Dick Cheney’s ridiculous fearmongering diatribe all day. I was skimming through a lot of the cable news commentary throughout the day because I thought there was no way this story would get buried. It was.
Cheers to Rachel Maddow for not only commenting on this story, but making it the lead story after Keith Olbermann wasted an hour of many lives whining about the meaningless words of Mr. Cheney.
“The Rachel Maddow Show” – 21 May 09 (10:57):
I think it’s safe to say that Mr. Cheney’s the best thing to happen to Pres. Obama in his first months as president because no one wants to slam him for being the fascist, warmongering mass murderer for the Corporate War Party that he is. Mr. Cheney is the constant reminder that Pres. Obama isn’t the physical being of Mr. Bush. Mr. Cheney’s immoral diatribes are a constant distraction, mixed with Pres. Obama’s eloquent rhetoric, from the reality that Pres. Obama does not represent any significant steps toward justice, peace, or liberty.
I don’t watch TV much anymore, but I run through a lot of the cable nightlies on YouTube the following day while working (and further torturing myself). After working as a media consultant last year during the election — closely monitoring cable news coverage — I found Ms. Maddow to be unwatchable. I was confused how a Rhodes Scholar with that Ph.D. from Oxford could be so dense, yet so revered, during the election. Seeing Pat Buchanan play the role of a party-line Republican on the same network made me wonder what the hell was going on.
Outside of her analysis on economics (which is still unwatchable and intellectually bankrupt), Rachel Maddow is probably the bravest person on cable news right now. Though, I applaud her, this is really an indictment on the MSM. It shouldn’t be ‘brave’ to inject truth into the news.
- Obama Eyes ‘Preventive Detention’ System (20 May 09)
- Watching Obama Morph Into Dick Cheney (21 May 09)
- They’re in the Tank… for Obama (18 May 09)
- Barack Obama: Mass Murderer (13 May 09)
- AUDIO — Scott Horton: Election of Obama Hurt the Peace Movement (28 Apr 09)
- Gerald Celente: Change You Can Believe In, If You’re Deaf, Stupid, and Blind (19 Apr 09)
- AUDIO — Chomsky’s Lectern: March ‘09 Interview with AntiWar Radio (4 Mar 09)
- VIDEO — Finkelstein: Only Reason Why People Have Illusions About Obama is Because He’s Black (11 Feb 09)
- Chomsky’s Lectern: Obama on Israel-Palestine (26 Jan 09)