Jeremy Scahill discusses his must-read article from last week — “Obama Thug Squad Brutalizing Prisoners at Gitmo” — on Democracy Now! (DN!). The Immediate Reaction Force (IRF) is one of the many, and most shocking, disgusting realities within the War of Terror.
Jeremy Scahill: “Little Known Military Thug Squad Still Brutalizing Prisoners at Gitmo Under Obama”
19 May 09 | DN!
Jeremy Scahill reports the Obama administration is continuing to use a notorious military police unit at Guantanamo that regularly brutalizes unarmed prisoners, including gang-beating them, breaking their bones, gouging their eyes and dousing them with chemicals. This force, officially known as the Immediate Reaction Force, has been labeled the “Extreme Repression Force” by Guantanamo prisoners, and human rights lawyers call their actions illegal.
Jeremy Scahill: award-winning investigative journalist and author of the bestseller Blackwater: The Rise of the World’s Most Powerful Mercenary Army. His writing and reporting is available at RebelReports.com. His latest article written for Alternet is titled “Little Known Military Thug Squad Still Brutalizing Prisoners at Gitmo Under Obama” (10:55):
- Little Known Military Thug Squad Still Brutalizing Prisoners at Gitmo Under Obama (15 May 09)
- Chomsky’s Lectern: Unexceptional Americans — Why We Can’t See the Trees or the Forest (20 May 09)
- AUDIO/VIDEO — President Obama ‘Morphing Into His Predecessor’ Blocking Transparency and Prosecution of Torture (14 May 09)
- Senate Democrats Reject Funding to Close Gitmo (20 May 09)
- Watching Obama Morph Into Dick Cheney (21 May 09)
- Obama Eyes ‘Preventive Detention’ System (21 May 09)