AntiWar Radio host Scott Horton interviews Marjorie Cohn on the recent revelation that torture was not used to thwart attacks and gather intel, but to manufacture connections between Saddam Hussein and al-Qa’ida to justify the consciously illegal Iraq War.
Marjorie Cohn, president of the National Lawyers Guild, discusses the illegality of the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the use of torture to extract false confessions linking Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda, the embarrassment of Spain investigating U.S. war crimes while Obama sidesteps the issue and Condi Rice’s comeuppance at Stanford . (23:39):
Marjorie Cohn is president of the National Lawyers Guild and a professor at Thomas Jefferson School of Law. She is the author of Cowboy Republic: Six Ways the Bush Gang Has Defied the Law and Rules of Disengagement: The Politics and Honor of Military Dissent.
Extended YouTube video referenced by Marjorie Cohn (9:53):
- Condi-spiracy to Torture (1 May 09)
- Spain to Probe Guantanamo ‘Abuses’, CCR Applauds Action (30 Apr 09)
- Cheney Pushed Torture Techniques to Find Iraq, al-Qa’ida Tie (22 Apr 09)
- In Final Letters, Hussein Complained of Being Tortured (5 May 09)
- ‘150 Afghan Civilians’ Killed in Fresh U.S. Strikes (6 May 09)
- Glenn Greenwald on Obama and the Law (25 Feb 09)
- The ‘Other Guantanamo’ (21 Feb 09)