al Jazeera (10 Mar 09): The UN has launched an investigation into secret detention centres around the world, including those run by America’s Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
The investigation, announced on Tuesday, will examine CIA “rendition” flights that secretly transferred suspects to other countries for interrogation, as well as the use of torture in secret prisons around the world.
“We call on all governments to co-operate, not just in clarifying the facts, but in ensuring that such secret detention centres will no longer be used,” Manfred Nowak, the UN special rapporteur on torture, said.
Under the presidency of George Bush, the US confirmed it had apprehended people it suspected of “terrorism” and taken them to third countries for interrogation.…
US ‘black sites’:
- US accused of extraordinary rendition – sending suspects to foreign countries for torture and interrogation.
- Suspects sent to secret Parisians have no rights under US law.
- Poland and Romania reported to host secret CIA jails between 2003 and 2005.
- Rights activists claim “black sites” existed in Morocco, Djibouti and Thailand.
- President Obama has ordered a review of detention practices.